Fundraiser for Matthew 25 Hand Up for Housing Mission
What is it?
Members and friends of First Presbyterian Church (FPC)are invited to create and host ‘parties’ that will entertain, teach or provide a service for guests who register and pay to attend their party. Party-hosts are encouraged to be creative with their party ideas, based on their interests, talents and skills, and to team-up with others to share the work and costs to throw a fun and unique event.
For example, Pastor Jon could host a party where he teaches guests to perform some magic tricks. Steve Rodie could host a party where guests operate trains on his model train layout. FPC’s youth could host a party for children dropped off by their parents to enjoy a couple hours to themselves.
Party hosts donate their time, talents and resources, and set the date, time, location, activity or theme, and number of guests at their party. Hosts set the $-fee that every guest will pay to attend. Parties are scheduled from September through December 2021.
The Pick-A-Party Party is Sunday morning, September 12. On this Rally Sunday, FPC members and friends sign-up for (or ‘pick’) parties they’ll attend as Guests. Guests pay the guest fees for the parties they registered for at the Pick-A-Party Party.
These Guest party fees are the fund-raiser part of this Fundraiser for FPC’s Matthew 25 Hand Up for Housing Mission. 100% of guest party fees will be donated to three reputable agencies that already address housing needs in our community:
Heartland Family Services provides housing assistance and support services to individuals and families experiencing homelessness.
Open Door Mission’s Lydia House provides emergency shelter for women and families
Youth Emergency Services (YES) provides emergency shelter for youth ages 16-20
How to learn more?
More information is coming! Watch for:
- Moment-for-Mission announcements during Sunday Worship services starting in mid-July
- Sunday Worship bulletin inserts starting in mid-July, including information and party-donation
- Information Table in Calvin Hall before and after Sunday Worship services, with information and party-donation forms for hosts
Mid-July: Detailed information and forms for volunteer party hosts become available.
August 15th: Due date for information from volunteer party hosts (family, team or group) about the party they’ll give
August 29th: The Party Booklet is available (both on-line and on-paper) that organizes the parties by date, describes each part and lists each party’s fee so everyone can start choosing the parties they’ll sign-up for
September 12th: Pick-A-Party Party! Sign-up and pay for parties you choose (‘pick’).
September – December: Hosts give their parties; guests party-hearty!
Donations to Matthew 25 Hand Up for Housing Pick-A-Party are tax-deductible. Matthew 25 Hand Up Mission’s federal tax identification number is #47-0376543. Matthew 25 Hand Up for Housing Mission is a community endeavor to provide awareness for housing needs, assist with housing rent, promote advocacy and seek equitable housing for those in need.
Did you Know…
Housing Facts in the Omaha Community
- One in 5 households make less than $25,000 per year
- 50% of local renters spend more than 1/3 of their income on housing
- The average cost of a 1-bedroom apartment is $665 per month. A renter needs to hold a full time $14 an hour job to pay rental costs
- A residence is considered overcrowded if there is more than one person per room in the home
- Approximately 2,000 individuals find themselves homeless every night