Matthew 25 Hand Up for Housing Walk Fundraiser
What is it?
Matthew 25 Hand Up for Housing Walk is a fundraiser with a mission to increase awareness for housing insecurities and financially support 3 local agencies: Heartland Family Service, Open Door Mission’s Lydia House, and Youth Emergency Services. The Matthew 25 Hand Up Mission, in collaboration with churches, civic groups, businesses, schools, and colleges, works together and supports members of our community that experience housing insecurity, eviction, substandard housing, and poverty. Poor housing conditions affect health, education, stability, safety, and one’s overall well-being.
The Matthew 25 Hand Up for Housing Walk takes place:
Sunday, October 3, 2021
Registration/Check-in: 12:00 – 1:30 p.m.
Walk Begins: 1:00 p.m.
First Presbyterian Church Omaha
34th & Farnam
Help build community by getting to know your neighbors while walking. Walkers of all ages, faiths and backgrounds, will choose a route through Midtown Crossing, Blackstone, Field Club, UNMC or Turner Boulevard areas. You and your neighbor will have a positive impact on those experiencing housing insecurity. Join the Matthew 25 Hand Up for Housing Walk or Sponsor a Walker:
…As a Walker
There are two routes: 1 mile and 3.4 miles. Walkers choose the length of the route. There will be a rest stop for the 3.4-mile options at Westminster Presbyterian Church (3426 Woolworth Ave.)
…As a Sponsor.
You can sponsor a walker, or team of walkers. Invite others to join in and donate.
100% of the funds raised will be donated to three reputable agencies that already address housing needs in our community:
Heartland Family Services provides housing assistance and support services to individuals and families experiencing homelessness.
Open Door Mission’s Lydia House provides emergency shelter for women and families
Youth Emergency Services (YES) provides emergency shelter for youth ages 16-20
Before the walk
- Obtain a Sponsor envelope from a Matthew 25 Hand Up for Housing Walk Recruiter or call/text
- Register here
- Ask friends, relatives and neighbors to sponsor you with a tax-deductible pledge. All walkers collect donations or encourage sponsors to make on-line donations.
- Make all checks payable to Matthew 25 Hand Up
Day of the walk
- Meet at First Presbyterian Church Omaha, 34th and Farnam
- Parking will be marked and available in parking lots on the south side of Farnam Street, across from the church
- Rain or Shine, the walk will go on
- Same day Registration and Check-in 12:00 – 1:30 p.m.
- Receive a map of the routes
- Turn in donations at the Treasurer’s table
- If donations are not all received by Walk Day, collect promptly and turn in to your recruiter by October 31st.
- Listen to the Housing Agencies address urgent needs in the Omaha community at 12:40 pm
- Walk begins at 1:00 p.m.
- SO…Let’s Go Walk
During the walk
- Follow the color-coded signs for each route
- Stay on sidewalks & follow pedestrian crossing laws
- Visit with fellow walkers
- Afterwards, visit the agency and business booths at our Walk Festival, located on the church grounds
Please note: children must be accompanied by an adult. Strollers, wagons and wheelchairs are welcome.
Donations to Matthew 25 Hand Up for Housing Walk are tax-deductible. Matthew 25 Hand Up Mission’s federal tax identification number is #47-0376543. Matthew 25 Hand Up for Housing Mission is a community endeavor to provide awareness for housing needs, assist with housing rent, promote advocacy and seek equitable housing for those in need.
Did you Know…
Housing Facts in the Omaha Community
- One in 5 households make less than $25,000 per year
- 50% of local renters spend more than 1/3 of their income on housing
- The average cost of a 1-bedroom apartment is $665 per month. A renter needs to hold a full time $14 an hour job to pay rental costs
- A residence is considered overcrowded if there is more than one person per room in the home
- Approximately 2,000 individuals find themselves homeless every night