Adult Discipleship – Deepen Your Faith and Community
Deepen Your Faith and Community
In September I introduced our theme for the year – Deeper: deeper in our faith, further into community. This is a topic that I am most passionate about because I believe that all of us could dive a little deeper into those two areas of our life together.
Deeper in our Faith: that is about Spiritual Growth, who we are as Children of God and what we know and believe about Jesus. No matter our stage in life, how many times we have traveled completely around the sun; or our faith background, whether we grew up going to Sunday school every week or we are new to this church thing – there is something left for us to learn about God! No one knows it all, and no one ever will! So here are a few ways for you to go Deeper in your Faith:
• Sunday Morning: Sunday classes begin at 9:00am and we offer something for every one from the youngest to the oldest.
• Midweek @ Midtown: Beginning at 4:30 in Jenks lounge we are offering an Adult Bible study class. The Chapel will be available for a time of prayer and meditation from 4:30-6:30. Dinner @ 5:45 followed by Youth Group, Children’s program and an Adult study class.
• New Discipleship small groups are starting in October. This is a great opportunity to go deeper in faith and journey through life together.
Further into Community: that is about who we are together, not exclusive like a social club, but as a part of the Body of Christ. We were not created to go about life on our own, even the Lone Ranger had Tonto! Community is what makes us stronger, holds us up when we are weak, celebrates with us, loves us unconditionally. Community at its core is the most beautiful thing because it provides us that place where we belong, an extended family that makes us feel at home. So here are a few ways for you to go Further into Community:
• Join with others in fellowship through one of our PUFF (Presbyterian United for Fun) trips
• Participate in our Prayer Shawl Ministry once a month on a Tuesday evening.
• Invite new friends to join you for lunch after church…everyone needs to eat!
• Give some of your time on a Thursday afternoon to Serve at the Hand-up Food Pantry or help serve a meal with Neighbors United or picking up trash in Turner Park.
• Take part in our Annual Trunk-or-Treat event. Joining others in a great time of community and outreach to our neighbors.
It is hard to believe that it has almost been a month since our classes and programs launched for the new year…so how have you gone deeper? I am excited about all the wonderful opportunities we have planned this month and those coming up for all of us to go Deeper. Both Deeper in our Faith and Further into Community. I hope you will join in this adventure and see how deep you can go.
And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:17-19 (NIV)