Hand Up for Housing Mission
Get ready for Walk-A-Thon 2022!
Affordable and safe housing remains an issue for many of our Omaha neighbors. We all can help! Take part in the second annual Hand Up for Housing Walk-A-Thon: walk, support a walker, or donate.
The goal is to raise at least as much as last year for three local nonprofit agencies: inCOMMON, Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, and Youth Emergency Services.
100% of the money raised goes to these agencies, which have expertise in building communities and supporting those in need of shelter.
Need to know
Date: October 9, 2022
Location: First Presbyterian Church – Omaha (216 South 34th Street)
Route: 1.26 miles through Dewey Park and Blackstone neighborhoods
Time: Registration begins at 12:30 p.m. The walk kicks off at 1:30 p.m. Celebrate completion of the walk at a block party on 34th Street.
Did you know …
Housing facts in Omaha
- One in 5 households make less than $25,000 per year
- 50% of local renters spend more than 1/3 of their income on housing
- The average cost of a 1-bedroom apartment is $665 per month. A renter needs to hold a full time $14 an hour job to pay rental costs
- A residence is considered overcrowded if there is more than one person per room in the home
- Approximately 2,000 individuals find themselves homeless every night