Hand Up for Housing Mission
So … Let’s Go and Walk for Housing Assistance in Omaha!
Affordable and safe housing remains an issue for many of our Omaha neighbors. We all can help! Take part in the third annual Hand Up for Housing Walk-A-Thon: walk, support a walker, or donate.
All funds go directly to two nonprofit agencies: inCOMMON and Youth Emergency Services.
These agencies have expertise in building communities and supporting those in need of shelter.
Need to know
Date: October 8, 2023
Location: 34th and Farnam Streets
Route: 1.26 miles through Dewey Park and Blackstone neighborhoods
Registration – Noon to 1 p.m.
Walk – 1 p.m. with block party to follow
Did you know …
Housing facts in Omaha
- One in 5 households make less than $25,000 per year
- 50% of local renters spend more than 1/3 of their income on housing
- The average cost of a 1-bedroom apartment is $665 per month. A renter needs to hold a full time $14 an hour job to pay rental costs
- A residence is considered overcrowded if there is more than one person per room in the home
- Approximately 2,000 individuals find themselves homeless every night